Day 50 of 100 Pleats ……. Crystal ….. Celebrations and Optimism

IMGP0403 IMGP0404

Day 50 of the 100 Pleats in 100 Days Challenge that was set by Melissa and Claire from Stone Bridge hair Accessories.

Yes !!!!  Day 50 !!!!  ……Half way there !

By way of celebration I have decorated my tight knot with a beautiful Butler & Wilson crystal necklace. I know that the appropriate stone for  ‘50′  isn’t crystal ….but I simply HAD to have something sparkly !!

Gosh, at times its been a struggle and ……sometimes………unintentionally ……..I  have broken a few rules along the way …..

But I’m halfway there and I’m thrilled about that. So, onwards and upwards we go ….full of optimism and determination.  I CAN  do this.

Yes, I am an optimistic person ….I always see the glass half-full ….. I know it is sometimes annoying, but its how I am and I’m too old to change now.  What sort of person are you ?  Half-full or half-empty ?

I was going to do a blog post on my thoughts about Christmas and the criticism people receive if they dare to begin early preparations ….but time is my enemy today and I need to think about my words.  So, instead, I will reblog this piece about my Granddad, who was also an optimist.  I’m sure you would have liked him !


My Granddad was not my  ‘real’  Granddad …….. not my  ‘birth’ relation, as they say nowadays.  My Nana was married twice and her second husband was much resented by my Mother.  But that is not for now,  that is for another day.

To me he was my Granddad…. the only one I had ever known and I loved and respected him and mourned him when he passed away.

He was one of four children,  born to a relatively wealthy farming family in North Yorkshire.  Apparently,  when he was 8 yrs old,  he had fallen from a cart and broken his arm in a few places.  It was set hastily and inexpertly by the local doctor and infection set in and he almost lost the arm. He was sent every fortnight, at great expense, on his own across the country to Liverpool for treatment and although this saved the limb it was left twisted and his right hand was turned inwards in a sort of immobile  ‘claw’  shape. The fingers were set in one position and could not be moved.

Of course, nowadays, he would be registered as disabled and eligible for all sorts of help and benefits,  but way back in the early 1900s there was no NHS,  no Benefit Schemes.  You just had to get on with it !

Every brother was given farming land by the parents and my Granddad’s farm was located where Wilton I.C.I  now stands. It extended from Lazenby to what was known as the  ‘Trunk Road‘ between Grangetown and Redcar.

It was a dairy farm, I remember lots of cows in a huge cow-byre….milked by hand, of course.  The milk was put into huge churns and taken down the lane by horse and cart.  There it was left,  to be picked up by a truck from Northern Dairies.  Then it was returned; bottled and in heavy metal crates; to be delivered to households round the town by my Granddad and the same horse and cart.

I.C.I Wilton,  which had started off in a small field, was expanding rapidly and office buildings and processing plants seemed to pop up overnight and creep ever nearer to the edge of the farm.

Granddad had sold I.C.I quite a few fields by then, but eventually they made him an offer he couldn’t refuse,  the farm was sold  and my Grandparents bought a large Victorian semi in Grangetown.

Now,  at the time,  this was a prosperous town,  full of life with plenty of work for the menfolk at the thriving Dorman Long Steel Works.  This was now the mid 1950s and I often used to visit my Grandparents for the weekend.  At night I would look out of the window and see the big red glow of the furnaces way in the distance and see shards of light and sparks fly up into the night sky when the workers were tapping the furnaces and the molten liquid was meeting the cold  ‘pig-moulds‘.

Although the farm was sold,  my Grandad was still the Milkman.  The only differences being that the horse and cart were kept at a nearby farm on the edge of town and the milk was no longer produced by his cows !

It was now delivered, very early in the morning,  to the rear of the house and kept in a purpose-built dairy in the back yard.  I can remember laying in bed,  blankets up to my ears and hearing the clatter and rattle of the crates and the chatter of the men as they unloaded the days supplies.  Meanwhile,  Granddad would have left the house even earlier to go up to the field and  ‘catch‘  the horse and harness it to the cart. Then, a while later,  I would hear the  ‘clip clop’ of hooves on the cobbled back alley and, once again, the clatter of crates being loaded.  This time by my Granddad with his crooked arm.

I have no idea how he managed,  I guess he had got used to the situation and, to my shame, as a youngster it never crossed my mind.  It was something I was used to and I never thought of the impact it must have had on his life.  He always coped and I never heard him complain.

He was not a sentimental man.  I suppose farmers can’t always allow themselves that luxury.  So,  although he cared for and ….I believe loved …….his horse,  he had no time for fancy names and every horse he ever owned was called  Peter !

Well, the Peter I knew was a marvel.  He knew every inch of the huge milk-round and could have walked the route on his own.  He knew when to stop and when to start off again and would wait at each place for the designated time.  However,  this meant that if a customer chatted for too long or needed an extra pint fetching, Granddad had to hurry or Peter would just trot off again and be halfway down the street at the next stop.

During the school holidays,  my sister Gill and I would often go  ‘on the round‘  too.  We would jump on and off the cart at the stops  and run up and down paths with pints of  gold top  and bottles of orange juice.  Peter would trot off to the next stop with us gaily skipping after calling  ” Whoa , whoa “,  which of course he ignored.

A couple of customers always made Granddad a cup of tea and,  if we were with him, we went into the cosy homes and were made a fuss of and plied with cocoa and biscuits.

Peter was used to these longer stops and stayed in one place merrily munching the garden hedge till we came out.  These generous households could easily be recognised by their half-eaten hedges, which were much shorter and sparser than their neighbour’s neat, uneaten ones !

People loved Peter.  They came out with apples and sugar cubes and little children giggled as his soft nose nuzzled their palms to carefully take the crusts of bread they offered.

People loved my Granddad too.

They gave him cakes and puddings in muslin cloths and sent magazines to my Nana. She,  in turn, used Granddad as a courier to deliver strawberry jam to the lady at number 6 or take a lovingly knitted matinee coat to Mrs. Brown’s new baby.  Births, marriages and deaths were discussed at length and news was carried,  along with the odd letter and parcel,  from one street to another.

Milk needed to be delivered in all weather.  Pouring rain;  scorching sun;  sleet and snow and howling gales;  there would be my Granddad and his trusty Peter.

Granddad,  at the crack of dawn;  huffing and puffing;  lifting heavy crates with his  gammy  arm.

Grandad, trudging up and down garden paths;  his weather beaten,  furrowed brow  like leather and the creases and wrinkles of his berry brown face deep-set in a smile.

When the snow and ice was too dangerous for Peter,  Granddad did the round in short spells using a two wheeled handcart that carried 6 crates at a time. This meant that he had to return home many times to reload,  but he always managed, never missed a day !

Gill and I would sometimes help him,  dressed in stout boots and layers of clothes, like two rosy cheeked Inuits.  When the round was finished he would let us sit on the empty crates and he would push us back home in the handcart.  I realise now that what had been great fun for us must have been hard work for him.  But it made us squeal with laughter and that pleased him.

When Gill and I got older we used to help him at weekends by doing what was called the  ‘bottom round’  using the two-wheeled handcart.  He would load it with 6 crates and the two of us set off to deliver the daily pintas to 4 or 5 streets of houses that all had excessively long garden paths  !!  We had great fun doing this even though it was very physical work.  Kids nowadays wouldn’t do it I suppose …… and  Health and Safety would have something to say about it anyway;  especially as I always let Gill sit on the empty crates while I pushed her home …………. it was tradition !

My dear Granddad worked on,  way past retirement age……. as he didn’t want to  ” let anyone down.”    But,  eventually,  he had to give way to the modern world.  It was no longer viable to deliver milk with a horse and cart.  Northern Dairies had moved into the modern age and now had a fleet of fancy milk floats and a team of white coated,  fresh-faced young milkmen.

Granddad was a relic of the past and everything was  ‘rush rush‘.   There was no time to linger over a cuppa or let young kiddies feed crusts to the milkman’s horse .

My Grandparents sold up and retired to the country and there are many more stories to tell.  But I think part of him always remained on that milk-round.

Peter also retired, to spend the rest of his life in lush fields,  but, for a while,  part of him remained on the round too,  in the half eaten hedges dotted here and there.


About rosiewrites2

Growing old, disgracefully and enjoying every minute.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s